2/16/2018

Veracruz style

Laundry in the front, kitchen in the back, signs for a mysterious filling I have never heard of? Sign me up.

It was empanadas, and I was going to order two of my new favourite (chicharron prensado), but when I enquired about the "chinameca" the woman beamed. It's from Veracruz, she told me. From Chinameca.  They make it from scratch, she told me, and gave me a taste. (Delicious, smokey, and spicy.) While they were cooking, she showed me a work in progress version of the final recipe.

She explained it to me but I didn't catch most of it. Sadly, my research has turned up a) very little b) contradictory information and c) it's a small town that happens to be where Emiliano Zapato died.

I guess I will have to take a trip to Veracruz one of these days.

No comments: