2/21/2015

Malacca Melaka

So I was on the road today for about 10 hours, minus an hour off for lunch, to travel approximately 200 km.

After getting shit on by the bird, I hopped into a private car with a lady driver (not sure if it's still a holiday or if the hotel just has an arrangement). Things were looking good, since there was a bus at the depot, it left within 5 min of my arrival, and we didn't hit a single motorcyclist on the way to Klang. (It wasn't my plan to go back to Klang, but it seemed like the best of my bad options, one of which would have been a cab into KL, but envisioning the traffic, I decided the commuter train was my best bet.)

So to Klang, and a relatively easy walk to the train station (since I was now situated) where I had just missed the half-hourly train. (What you might call foreshadowing.)

So after lunch at the Central Market, I headed back down to the major bus terminal, which is actually a thing of beauty. It's bright, shiny, and new, and things are all pretty easy. 

The only trouble? The fucking traffic. So my bus was a half hour late, and the actual trip, which is generally described as 1.5-2 hours, took closer to 4. 

Then of course the Malacca bus depot is all the way the hell out of town (which I knew), and the cabbies couldn't figure out where I was staying.

But I did get there eventually, though with some misgivings, because I realized en route that I had seriously misjudged the location of my hotel, which is nowhere near the historical area. 

At which point I nearly lost my mind.

Until I remembered that I would probably prefer not to stay in the historical area anyway, and that my hotel was likely in a proper neighbourhood, and then discovered that it had a pool (knowing that I would be staying at a 1-star hotel in Selangor and there being very little left in Melaka this CNY weekend, I had decided to upgrade).

And so. My hotel is gorgeous. The staff charming. The location perfect (for me). I was unsure whether I would want to stay here for two nights, by given my unexpectedly late arrival and the charm of the city/hotel, I have extended my stay.

The pool is open 24h.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never, never underestimate the recuperative power of a pool! I never do!!
Enjoy.
xoxo